Monday, November 01, 2004

First Day

Well here it is November the 1st and it is the 1st time I have posted to my blog.
How boring!

Well off to my first day-----ART--- is it something to be appreciated, made to match the sofa......or just something that the artists needs to express? Some would say that an artist would paint or work no matter what...but would they continue if no one was there to encourage or comment?

Is ART or paintings only created if someone else can enjoy? I think that most artists whether visual or creative need an audience.......

Would I be incorrect in thinking that a dancer needs to be watched --why dance.
A singer needs to be heard ---why sing......
an actor needs to be on a stage or there is no need to act---
and an artists needs to have his/her paintings to be seen and enjoyed---why else create?

Even God created something that needed to be shared..... as it because the creation itself wasn't enough....he needed people to enjoy what he made-----so it is with an artist. Create for others to enjoy. Not that I am comparing artists to God...but to the idea that paintings are creations.

Will I create, paint, sculpt, draw---only if someone else appreciates the work? Or will I create for myself and for the sheer pleasure of doing.........time will tell.

This may be too simplistic but it is a way of thinking that I intend to digest and to chew on like a dog with his bone.....I will continue to dig it up and taste it to make sure it is still there and is still mine......I will worry it until I no longer take interest and then will bury it for good to forget it was even a thought.

What difference does it make if I work for others or for myself. Is it wrong to be commerical.....aha...but that is another question.

2 comments:

pakc said...

Day 2 and no comments, but I am still processing the idea that ART needs an audience. Like the question " if a tree falls in the woods and noone is there to hear will it still make a sound"

AS an artists there is something to the idea that it is my duty in life to paint. It shouldn't matter if it is seen by anyone else, but it's entire value is to express my own emotions.

Then why do so many artists have more interest in what they have sold, when they will sale, and how much they ask for their work. Why do they only value the piece according to whether someone wants it or not? Why if it doesn't sell do they take it back to the studio and "TWEAK IT A LITTLE" to make it sell or to keep from WASTING THE CANVAS.....

IF the artists truly paints for his own enjoyment would any of the above make the painting any more valuable?

for some artists selling a work sometimes can be equated to selling a child. Some paintings take on a life of their own and become so personal to the artists that it is very hard to part with the work.....can you imagine Thomas Kinkade having that problem...NO neither can I...does his lack of connection to the painting and his ability to make it desired by the public make it more valuable...his paintings are snatched up by everyone...of course to match the decor is the important factor for his work and it is pallitable....but does it make it more of a statement then a painting that expresses the emotional turmoil around an artists, whose work evokes a primal reaction; equally beautiful....and doesn't sell?

pakc said...

2005 I am looking and reinventing.....art for art sake....I don't know but what I do know is that I am painting less and complaining more. It is time to reverse this direction and complain less and paint more.

I am interested in entering more competitions....by being more competitive got me where I am today. I stopped doing it for now nearly 2 years and it is time to get busy and do my own thing.

I just read the article that was writen for me in a local magazine. Nice article but does it really express who or what I am about. Does anyone really see me. I notice that even in my own paintings I only give so much information and my subconscious is hoping that someone will see the whole picture.

I am giving classes to an individual who is trying to find direction and in doing this I find I too want more direction. We discuss Abstracts and why the majority of "common people" general public do not understand or often say...OH! that one disturbs me....is it the emotion they are reacting to or is it truly they don't like the unknown? They cannot find anything familar in an abstract so determine it must not be a "real painting"......