Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dishing it out can you take it?

When is it the time to tell it like it is and when do you keep it inside you and your mouth shut?

Critiques of artist's work giving or taking is such a fine line to walk.
Sometimes it is damn if you do and damned if you don't.
I have heard it all when people view my work, and a lot of it has not been to it's praise.
To keep from flipping out over any negativity, I try to take the artists work into account, weigh their remarks to me, then base my opinion of their remarks to what I think of their work. If their work is not something I admire or think challenging then I do not feel challenged.

I also think that sometimes depending on your relationship with another artist and what that relationship means, should also be taken into consideration to their comments. After all if they don't like you as a person...what could they possibly like in your work and vice versa, can they really be honest if they are thinking more on the relationship then on the work.
So dishing it out and taking it depends I guess, or at least for me, in how it was given and what can I learn from it.

Now to dishing it out.
There is a saying around here...
Don't ask Pam unless you are prepared to hear it all.
No, I am not always critical, but I don't mince words when there is something I think I see that doesn't work in a painting.
Nor do I mince words when I find something to praise.
When it is good I am one of the first to speak up and clap you on the back.
I try to give support and encouragement.
I think that a good fair critique of the work can be balanced, and the artist is opened to the thoughts of another; they can possibly find a new way to look at their work.

Because of my background a lot of people come to me and they know I really will be honest.
I know they don't like sweet remarks like..
NICE WORK,
GREAT START,
OOOOOHHHH!!!!!
and that is all that is said.
No grounds or support to what they say, just being non committal is what I call it.
But the artist who asked for a critique or what you think is usually looking or searching for something more the platitudes.

But, should it be told to them, if you think the remarks will make them feel badly about their work?
or should it be told when after all it is only your opinion?
or should you just give them what they expect, easy praise;
because you value their friendship and being honest could jeopardize the relationship?
Haven't resolved this as yet.
But the other thing I know about me is I don't know when to shut up.

No comments: