Sunday, July 29, 2007

In the groove.

I have been painting for a new show which is in October.
It was requested of me to present new work in the Red Hat Genre.
I haven't done the Red Hat ladies in ages.
I prefer more color now and like my Sassy women better.
Ladies with class or attitudes are who I consider Sassy.

This time I started with the Sassy ladies first to get myself motivated.
Then moved into the other series. Though I am not as happy as I wish to be with the painting...it brought me joy painting it and thinking about the individuals that I thought of as I struck poses for each. It got me going in other words.

Oh Man, I struggled when I moved on to the Red Hat ladies.
I liked the poses and I did capture the sheerness of the clothing once again, but the faces..
YUCK and the hair...
the hair looked like spaghetti instead of tresses and the faces looked like gnomes instead of ladies. Then there is the hat...that too...someone thought one of them was an apple. Oh my...not what I expected, so more work to save those works.
I posted the works anyway, mainly because when I post them I can see them outside of my mind's eye. That is when I confirmed how much more work they needed.

When I talk about the "mind's eye", I assume that everyone knows that it is the eye that you think you are painting with.
The inner eye that guides the hand.
But the trouble with that "eye" is you don't always see what you are actually painting, but what you think you are painting.
So posting the work online as a WIP helps to keep me honest.
But honestly, I see that what I posted recently aren't either/or.
Meaning...they aren't what my mind sees nor are they paintings that I wish to see.

I understand that painting good works is directly attributed to the amount of time I spend painting everyday. The less I paint the harder it is for the paintings to flow. It becomes a struggle to get back into the groove. The"groove" appears, when the brush, the paint, the canvas become one. Where it is easy and you just keep moving forward painting, after painting, after painting.

Well , at last I got there, I think.
The last painting I posted is there.....in the groove.
It was the easiest of the bunch and the most enjoyable.
It took the shortest amount of time and yet seems to have the most impact.
I look forward to the next one, instead of moving on just to get away from one that isn't flowing. When you are in the groove painting is enjoyable and exciting and less like work. LOL


Unfortunately, I have to quit painting for a couple of days...and that makes me uneasy, since I just found the groove again.
Company coming and I need to tend to household things.
Wish I had a maid......lol
I am thinking I might just sneak up the stairs to the studio after the company goes to bed.
I tend to get my best thoughts at night anyway, so this should be easy and not even noticed by the company.

I certainly do not wish to spend another two or three paintings trying to find the groove again.

No comments: